Preparing For Your Injection Procedure
After your initial consultation and your procedure is scheduled, you may be asked by your physician to follow the general guidelines listed below:
- Please provide a list of all medications you take, including aspirin and/or anti-inflammatories. Please also provide a list of any over the counter vitamins and supplements. Your physician may ask you to briefly stop taking some medications so it doesn’t interfere with your procedure.
- Please don’t eat anything 6 hours before check-in and do not drink anything for at least 4 hours before your procedure.
- Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home afterwards. You may experience some drowsiness or weakness, and operating heavy machinery is not advised immediately after your procedure.
What to Expect During Your Procedure
The procedure will only take a few minutes. However, extra time is needed to get ready.
- Monitoring devices may be attached to your body. These devices measure your heart rate and breathing.
- You will be lying on your stomach or side, depending on the area which will be injected.
- Your back and/or indicated injection site is cleaned and will be covered with sterile towels.
- Medicine is given to numb the injection site.
- If fluoroscopy (x-ray imaging) is to be used, a contrast “dye” may be injected; this helps create a better image.
What Happens after My Procedure is Done?
Once your procedure is complete, you will be monitored for 15-20 minutes in our recovery suite where your vital signs will be closely gauged and more importantly, your pain scale will be measured to determine if the procedure was effective. Some procedures will provide immediate relief, whereas others may provide a more gradual relief of your pain.
Your recovery nurse will provide you with detailed discharge instructions as well as how to take care of yourself once you get home. Your physician will let you know when you need to come back for a follow-up visit and at that point, we will determine if more procedures are required to help alleviate some of your pain.